Most of the readers of my blogpost, Dealing With Dextroscoliosis, would often ask me where to go to have their scoliosis checked or how to go about having it checked.  The first step in dealing with your scoliosis is to see a Rehabilitation Specialist or Physiatrist. In most cases, people with dextroscoliosis tend to consult an orthopedic doctor first. To a certain extent, orthopedic doctors can diagnose scoliosistic condition and give possible treatment but for a more comprehensive physical management of scoliosistic illness or any other physical injuries in that matter, Rehabilitation Medicine Specialist or Physiatrist is your best bet. So what is the difference between an Orthopedic Specialist and Rehabilitation Medicine Specialist? The difference lies in their nature of practice.

Orthopedic Specialist

An Orthopedic Specialist is a medical doctor who specializes in the treatment of the musculoskeletal system which includes the bones, joints, muscles, and any related painful conditions. If, for example, you seek advice and treatment from an orthopedic specialist regarding your scoliosis, he will recommend you to undergo a scoliosistic sequence xray or a spine xray. Based on the results and findings, he will be able to tell you the degree of your curvature as well as the kind of scoliosis that you have. But then, for proper management of your condition, he will refer you to a Rehab Medicine specialist or Physiatrist since it is not like a broken leg or foot that needs casting or surgery.

Rehabilitation Specialist or Physiatrist

A Rehabilitation Specialist or Physiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in the non-surgical treatment of the musculoskeletal system. They usually work with a team of physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, rehabilitation nurses, and therapeutic recreation specialists in a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program. Combined with the use of medications, physical modalities, physical training with therapeutic exercise, movement & activities modification, adaptive equipment and assistive device, orthotics (braces), prosthesis, and experiential training approaches, they work to restore optimal functioning of the affected part of the body. If you are a patient with scoliosistic condition you can go straight to a Rehabilitation Medicine Specialist to save time and cut costs since the Rehab Specialist will handle the long term management of your condition. But in cases where surgery is required, the Rehab Specialist will refer you back to an Orthopedic doctor.

Rehabilitation Specialists in the Philippines

Most of the major hospitals here in the Philippines such as University of Santo Tomas, St. Luke’s Medical Center, Asian Hospital, University of Perpetual Help to name a few, as well as health clinics in malls such as Healthway and Tokyo Healthlink, have resident Rehabilitation Medicine Specialists in their Bone Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy Department, who can work well with you in managing your scoliosis.

About Me

I am better known as Nan’s widow, Bianca Angela’s mom, and Woodrose’s Mrs. Dela Cruz.  I am a full time teacher and mentor, a freelance writer for various print and online publications, a marathoner, and a curator of inspiring faith stories.
I am also the author of the best selling book, Grace Upon Grace: A widow’s journey.:)


Grab a copy now from Amazon

From Amazon:
“This book describes the author’s personal journey in faith and grace as a widow and single mother to her cancer warrior child. It chronicles how she managed to rise above her fears and found joy even in moments of grief and sorrow. …”

Subscribe to My News